Frequently Asked Questions
Do I continue to see my dentist for regular visits during orthodontic treatment?
Yes, you will need to continue to see your dentist for regular checkups.
Brushing With Orthodontics
Be sure to brush your teeth right after every meal and before you go to bed. It's best to use a fluoride toothpaste to help fight cavities. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride mouth rinse to help prevent cavities. Try to brush like this:
- Start by brushing the outside of each tooth at least 10 times.
- Then brush where your gums and teeth meet, using a circular motion.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth at least 10 times too.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth last.
Flossing With Orthodontics
Because your toothbrush won't reach between your teeth, brushing alone won't keep your teeth clean and healthy. Flossing can help. A floss threader, available from us or a pharmacy, helps you floss with braces on. Floss once a day, like this:
- Thread floss through the threader and slip it up behind your archwire.
- Pull the floss between two teeth and up under your gum margins.
- Rinse with lots of clean water, and watch your teeth and braces sparkle!
Here at Fallbrook Mission Dental, we are committed to providing general dental care and to creating beautiful smiles for you and your family. We offer emergency care and evening on-call hours for patients of record who cannot wait until the next business day. Schedule an appointment by filling out our online form calling us.